- Amazon Watch Party allows you to watch and chat about your favorite shows and movies simultaneously with friends and family remotely.
- Up to 100 people can watch entertainment and chat simultaneously, but they need to have an Amazon Prime membership to use the feature.
- Watch Party is currently still in beta and only available in select countries.
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
Jan 23, 2021 Prime Video Hello, Sign in. Google “the friend” essay and read that, too, because that’s what this movie is based on. The essay is beautiful, too. Amazon has a feature for Amazon Prime users called the Amazon Household Program. It allows an Amazon Prime user to share its benefits and costs, including media-sharing across Amazon devices and applications, with up to one other adult and up to four children in their family. The company just announced a new service for your next binge watch with friends: Amazon Prime Video Watch Party. You can use it to watch hundreds of movies and shows from Amazon's catalog while.
Finding ways to enjoy fun activities with our loved ones from a distance is more important than ever. Following the swell of interest in Netflix Watch Party - now Teleparty - other streaming platforms began releasing their own remote watch tools to help friends and family enjoy their favorite shows and movies while miles apart.
That includes Prime Video's Amazon Watch Party, a more recent introduction from the streaming platform behind hits like 'The Expanse,' 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,' 'Fleabag,' and 'The Boys.' It allows up to 100 people to enjoy their favorite TV show or movie together, watching and chatting simultaneously from wherever they are.
You'll need an Amazon Prime account to start a Watch Party, and you'll be limited to streaming titles only from Amazon's Prime Video library. Luckily, that's more than 15,000 movies and TV shows to choose from, so there should be something for everyone.
You can host an Amazon Watch Party on all desktop browsers except for Safari and Internet Explorer. At the current time, the feature is not available on mobile devices. It is also currently in beta, meaning you may notice some errors or other issues while using it, even on the devices it's compatible with.
If you're interested in starting an Amazon Watch Party, it's easy - here's how to do it.
How to use Amazon Watch Party on Prime Video
1. Log into your Amazon account.
Video: Parler CEO responds after Amazon shuts down company's servers (FOX News)
2. Go to Amazon's Prime Video section and search for any title available in the streamer's library.
3. In the media options, click 'Watch Party' to launch the feature.© Jennifer Still/Business Insider Look for the 'Watch Party' button to begin. Jennifer Still/Business Insider
4. Enter the name you want to use for the chat. This could be your actual name or a screen name of your choice.© Jennifer Still/Business Insider You'll need to identify yourself before you can begin watching. Jennifer Still/Business Insider
5. Once your name is entered, click 'Create Watch Party.'
6. To begin inviting friends, share the customized link that appears to the video's right by copy and pasting it into an email, instant messaging app, or your preferred method of communication.
7. If you prefer, you can also choose to Share directly using Facebook, Twitter, or email.© Jennifer Still/Business Insider Share the link with your fellow watchers to start streaming together. Jennifer Still/Business Insider
Related coverage from Tech Reference:Amazon
Amazon Prime Video Login
Amazon’s new Prime Video feature could help you stay connected with friends even while social distancing. If you’re in the US, you can now host and attend a Prime Video Watch Party, a new option for desktop that lets you co-watch with friends and fellow Prime members. As the host, you’ll be in charge of controls, providing all attendees with a cinema-like synchronized viewing experience. And yes, you can choose what to watch from Prime Video’s TV and movie lineup, which currently includes Captain America: The First Avenger and Amazon Originals like Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan and The Boys.
The new feature seems to be an expansion of Watch Parties for Twitch, which Amazon launched as a test feature in late 2019, that lets streamers watch videos with their viewers. Like in Twitch’s version, you’ll have access to a chat box with built-in stickers in a Watch Party, so you can communicate with friends. If you’re the host, you’ll be able to generate a link when you start a session and then invite up to 100 people — as long as they’re all Prime Video subscribers or Prime members based in the US, that is.
Amazon Prime Video Lego Friends
Unfortunately, Amazon didn’t say if the feature will be available outside the US. If you’re in the country, though, you can simply click the Watch Party icon on desktop to get the ball rolling.