Users of UW-Madison's institutional Tableau workbooks may need to pull data from one Microsoft Excel spreadsheet into another spreadsheet. This KB article explains how, by using an Excel formula called vLookup.
Combining Two Columns With a Formula. These are the steps you have to follow to combine two columns into one: Right-click the column letter C. There will be a new empty column between the Last Name and Address. Enter “Name” into the column header. Enter this formula into cell C2: =A2&' '&B2. Feb 09, 2018 The easiest method to merge Excel spreadsheets is to simply take the entire sheet and copy it from one workbook to another. To do this, start off by opening both Excel workbooks. Then, switch to the workbook that you want to copy several sheets from.
Select the cells you use, and click Kutools Merge & Split Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data. See screenshot: 2. In the popping dialog, do as these: 1 Check the option you want to combine cells based on; 2 Check or enter the separator you use; 3 specify the place you want to place the result; 4 Choose one option about the. And the fourth option “Unmerge Cells” provides canceling the merge function. If you accidentally merged the wrong cells, you can use this function. The 2nd way to combine cells in Excel. The next way on how to combine cells in Excel can be done through the right-click context menu of the mouse. Select the desired range of cells.How does the vLookup formula work?
- Locate where you want the data to go. Click that cell only once.
- At the top, go to the Formulas tab and click Lookup & Reference.
- Select vLookup
- Excel’s vLookup wizard will pop up. We’ll walk through each part of the formula.
Find the Unique Identifier (lookup value). It is usually in the same row as the empty cell you selected.
Click once on the Unique Identifier so that the cell position will automatically fill in. In this example it is cell B2.
- Go to the next field, Table_array (click in it once). In Spreadsheet 2 highlight the table containing the info you want, starting with the Unique ID.
In this example, Excel looks up Campus ID 555123123 in the first highlighted column of Spreadsheet 2.
Note: Make sure each Unique ID is listed only once in the table_array (on the second spreadsheet) so that vLookup retrieves the correct value. For example, if 555123123 is duplicated in the table_array, where Student [email protected] is the email in one row and Student [email protected] in the other, Excel will choose one of the emails for you.
- Go to Col_index_num (click in it once). This identifies which column contains the information you want from Spreadsheet 2.
Type the number of columns your field is from the Unique ID, where the Unique ID is 1. Here, the Email field is the third column.
- Go to Range_lookup (click in it once). Type FALSE to search for exact matches. The result will look something like this:
- Finally, copy and paste the formula to pull emails for the rest of the column.
(Note: if your table array is in the same Excel workbook, put $ signs around the cell values, similar to the example below. This ensures that you reference the correct cells in the table array, meaning that the table array does not shift down when you paste the formula down. See Advanced Tip below for more details.)
Combine 2 Cells In Excel With CommavLookup Shortcut
- Type the beginning of the formula: =VLOOKUP(
The formula guide will appear below.
(Note: You may notice Excel displays the formula in 2 places: the formula bar above and directly in the cell. You can edit the formula in either place.)
- Follow the guide and enter each value. Remember to insert a comma between each value.
- Insert a closed parenthesis ) and hit Enter. The end result will look like something like this:
- Finally, copy and paste the formula to pull emails for the rest of the column. Keep relative references in mind and use $ signs where necessary. (See Advanced Tip below for more details.)
- To lock in the lookup value in cell B1, insert $ signs before the column and the row:
- To lock in the column only, insert a $ before B only.
- To lock in the row only, insert a $ before 1 only.
Merge Cell Contents Into One Cell
Need More Information or Help?If you have questions about this Tableau document, please contact Melissa Chan, Office of Data Management and Analytics Services (ODMAS) at [email protected]
Combine 2 Cells In Excel File.
Combine Text From Two Cells Into One
Combine 2 Cells In Excel To One
|Keywords:||Tableau Workbook Dashboard Excel 2 Two Combine Pull Data IDESuggest keywords||Doc ID:||90851|
|Owner:||Steven T.||Group:||Office of Data Management & Analytics Services KB|
|Created:||2019-04-04 11:15 CDT||Updated:||2020-06-20 04:08 CDT|
|Sites:||Office of Data Management & Analytics Services KB|
|Feedback:||243CommentSuggest a new document|